3 February 2013

Rebekah's Kindness

And the servant ran to meet her, and said, Let me, I pray thee, drink a little water of thy pitcher. And she said, Drink, my lord: and she hasted, and let down her pitcher upon her hand, and gave him drink. And when she had done giving him drink, she said, I will draw water for thy camels also, until they have done drinking. And she hasted, and emptied her pitcher into the trough, and ran again unto the well to draw water, and drew for all his camels. And the man wondering at her held his peace, to wit whether the LORD had made his journey prosperous or not.
Genesis 24:17-21
Look not every man on his own things, but every man also on the things of others. Philippians 2:4

Rebekah was kind. She didn't only look out for herself. She saw someone else's need and tried to fill it.
The other day I did grocery shopping with Hannah(2yrs) and Esther(6 months). I went to two shops. Pak N Save was the second shop. Both girls were fine up until I got to the counter at Pak N Save. By then Esther had had enough. To stop her crying I got her out of the trolley and held her. But I still had a whole trolley to unpack. Have you ever tried holding a heavy baby on one hand and lifting a big box of nappies out of a trolley with the other hand? Now, that's a challenge! Thankfully, there was a kind man behind me who stepped forward and emptied out my whole trolley. He wasn't only looking out for himself. He saw my need and did what he could do to help, even though he didn't know me and it was really no concern of his.
A little kindness can make a big difference to someone's day.
The Bible says that Rebekah was a beautiful girl, but we can see from her actions that her beauty wasn't skin deep. A kind unselfish character is what really makes a girl beautiful.



How can you show kindness to someone today?

No comments:

Post a Comment