24 April 2013

If I was a teen girl again.... (part 1)

If I was a teen girl again, there are some things I would do differently. But there are other things that looking back now, I'm very glad I did do.
Here is a list of 12 things I would make sure I would do if I could live my teen years over again.
Whether you marry and have children like I have or whether you stay single, I'm sure all these things will come in handy!
1. Learn how to keep your room in order!

This is one regret I have from my teen years. Up until I was about 15 or 16 I kept my room neat and tidy most of the time. But then I started to get very busy---teaching Sunday School. being a leader at Girl's Brigade etc.-- so I decided that my room wasn't a priority. I got married with the mindset that keeping your house clean and tidy is not a priority because spiritual things are far more important. Now I have a whole house to keep in order, a husband and 2 children with all their things not to mention myself! I have learned that keeping your house in order is a priority (not the first priority, of course) and I am trying to relearn how to keep things organized.
But if I had gotten into the habit when I only had my own little room to look after, I think the change would have been much easier.
2. Learn to treat your father with respect.
 If you get married, you will discover Mr. Right is Mr. Right not Mr. Perfect! All men have their faults and make their mistakes. So if you learn to respect your father in spite of his faults it will be easier to respect your husband with his faults. And if you never marry, you will always be under some authority, whether it's your pastor or your boss etc. So learn to show respect.
3. Learn practical skills like cooking.

If you are able to, learn how to cook! You don't automatically know how to cook the day you have your own house to look after.
One newly married man was asked how he was enjoying his married life. "Great!" he replied. "My wife really worships me. She puts before me three burnt offerings every day!"
4. Learn to find enjoyment in monotonous work.

Being married, being a mother or having your own house isn't all fun and games. There's plenty of monotonous work to do--washing dishes, folding washing, dusting, changing nappies to mention a few. If you learn to find enjoyment in work, life is so much more fun and enjoyable! There are different ways to make boring jobs more interesting like listening to music, memorizing Scripture or praying for people while you work.
One Proverbs says "In all labour there is profit."
5.Learn to be cheerful always.
This is something I'm trying to learn from my husband! Cheerfulness is one of his strong points.
Bad days can be so much better if we have a cheerful attitude.
6.Learn to look for the good in people.
If you are always finding fault with your family, guess what? You will find fault with your husband and your children or whoever else you are around. It's important to learn to focus on people's good points.

No comments:

Post a Comment