15 August 2014

What's Better?

(Lessons from Potiphar's Wife)
Joseph had a choice—to sin or not to sin. Each choice had a high cost. What was better for Joseph?
If he had sinned, he would have paid the price of lost fellowship with God, the guilt and troubles that follow sin and of course, losing his purity.
If he didn't sin, he would face the wrath of Potiphar's wife—which turned out to be a false accusation and prison.
Which cost was higher?
Which cost would you choose?
Which was better?
It was better to sit in prison close to God with a good conscience. Doing right has a cost but doing wrong has a higher cost.
There are times in life when we have to choose like Joseph. There are times when both choices have a high cost.
I read a quote that said It's better to lose a good coat than a good conscience.
God may want you to do something that's difficult or something you don't like. What's better? To stay in your comfort zone or to obey God?
If you've done something wrong or made a mistake, what's better? To hide it or confess it?

I remember one time when I lived at home. I used to help my dad with milking the cows. We had quite a small milking shed so I was able to milk by myself. This one evening I forgot to take the milk pipe out of the milk vat when I started putting water through the cups. I quickly realized but when I pulled the milk pipe out of the vat there was already water coming out. When you milk cows you must always take the pipe out of the milk vat before you start washing the cups!! I didn't know if the water had damaged the milk or not. But I didn't want to go home and tell my Dad my mistake.
I had a choice.
I could tell him and maybe get a growling.
Or I could pretend that nothing happened and have a very guilty conscience. Maybe he would never find out.
I chose to risk a telling off! And guess what? My dad just said, “Don't worry about it!!”
Even if I had of gotten in trouble, it would still have been the best choice. Because choosing to do right is always the best choice!
 


No comments:

Post a Comment