13 July 2017

Good in Public

(This is a Repost)
Hannah!
Our little girl Hannah is a very social little girl! She loves people and loves to be given attention by anyone she sees. When she is looked after in creche with all the other children, I get told, "She's one of the easiest kids!" Someone once asked me, "Is she ever grumpy?" My answer was, "Yes. At home!" She is no trouble to take anywhere, and has never had a tantrum when out in public. (Well, except for on the never-ending plane trip to Holland, but that's understandable!)But she does have her moments (like any normal child) at home!   
     
 I started thinking about this recently when I heard a mother mention how her teenage daughter acts at home. I don't know that teenage girl very well, but from what I've seen of her I  never would have imagined her being like that. She seems just the opposite in public. So I was quite surpised.
But thinking about it,  I have to admit that I am guilty of the same thing. I can be cheerful when I'm in public and then have a complaining or resentful spirit at home. I can talk nicely in public, and then have no patience when I think no one else is listening. I can wear a smile when I go out, but take it off again when I'm at home. We've had 2 visitors staying with us for the last month, and I'm becoming increasingly aware of how I act or talk at home!
How is it that we can treat the worst the people that we love the most?
Unfortunately I think we're all sometimes guilty of just being good in public.
I heard a quote once that said "The light that shines the furtherest shines brightest at home."
What do you think that means?
Psalm 101:2b says. "...I will walk within my house with a perfect heart." That means at home!
Are you 'good' at home? Or just in public?


No comments:

Post a Comment