7 December 2012

Where is the bride?



Lessons from the story of Rebekah (part 1)
Genesis 24:10-15
(for the full story read the whole chapter)
And he made his camels to kneel down without the city by a well of water at the time of the evening, even the time that women go out to draw water.
And he said, O LORD God of my master Abraham, I pray thee, send me good speed this day, and shew kindness unto my master Abraham.
Behold, I stand here by the well of water; and the daughters of the men of the city come out to draw water:
And let it come to pass, that the damsel to whom I shall say, Let down thy pitcher, I pray thee, that I may drink; and she shall say, Drink, and I will give thy camels drink also: let the same be she that thou hast appointed for thy servant Isaac; and thereby shall I know that thou hast shewed kindness unto my master.
And it came to pass, before he had done speaking, that, behold, Rebekah came out, who was born to Bethuel, son of Milcah, the wife of Nahor, Abraham's brother, with her pitcher upon her shoulder.”
This story is one of my favourites!! Abraham needed a wife for his son, so he sent his servant back to his home country to find one. What a job! How on earth would he find the right one? It can be difficult enough finding a bride for yourself, let alone for someone else! And if he did find the right one, how would he convince her that she should leave her country and go and marry a man she hadn't even met before?
Difficult, aye? What would you do if you were him?
But this servant was very wise. He knew that God knew exactly where the right one was. Instead of hunting through the town, talking to every girl trying to find the right one.... he first of all prayed about it.
He asked God to give him a sign so he would know who the right one was. God answered his prayer, and it was actually rather simple!
Rebekah came along before he had even finished praying. He asked her for a drink and she offered to get water for all his camels. What an answer to prayer!
Philippians 4:6 says
Be careful for nothing (Be anxious about nothing); but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God.”
Have you ever wondered how you'll know the right guy to marry?
Most girls try and find that person themselves and go through a lot of broken relationships. Ouch!
Thankfully, that's not the only option!
God knows the right man for you (if it's His will for you to marry).
If you will be wise like the servant and pray for God to show you the right one at the right time, He will.
I am living proof of that! I prayed, “Lord, if you want me to get married, please show me the right man at the right time. I don't want to have any boyfriends that I'm not going to marry.”
Then I concentrated on living my life for God.
Guess what? One day, very unexpectedly :), Mr. Right came along! I had no idea he was the right one at first. But I knew it was possible, so I first prayed about it. When we pray and seek God, He does answer!
(Maybe I'll make a post with my courtship story sometime! :)
There is a quote I love
God gives his very best to those who will leave the choice to Him.”


1 comment:

  1. Hey Emily, I really enjoyed reading this devotion,it is a very encouraging one for teenage girls, it can also apply to other things (Other than marriage) such as what should I do with my life etc..

    It would be very neat if you post with your courtship story.. I can write it for you if you want me to!...

    Love from one of your sisters!:)

    ReplyDelete