22 February 2013

A Ruined Dinner

This week I was cooking dinner. I decided to throw in a few of what I thought were little capsicums which we are growing in our greenhouse. (Before this we had had the suspicion that maybe they were spicy, but my husband had tried one and that one wasn't.)
So after adding them to my dinner, I was cutting up a few other vegetables when somehow I got this spicy taste in my mouth. I thought, 'I hope those 'capsicums' aren't actually chillies.' I took out one piece and tried it. Whew!! Yes, they definately were chillies.
I grabbed a little spoon and spent about 5 minutes trying to fish them all back out. 'I'm glad I realized,' I thought with relief, 'Otherwise our whole dinner could have been spoiled.'
My husband arrived home and I thought I would quickly have a taste of the dinner as it was a new recipe. I put a spoonful in my mouth and immediately my mouth was on fire! Oh dear, I didn't realize that the seeds were the spiciest part of all and there was no way I could get them out.
So we sat down to eat our dinner. I thought 'I should be able to eat it. I'll just have to have lots of water.' But no! After about two mouthfuls I had to stop. It was sheer torture! My husband managed to get through his dinner but not me! ( I think he'd make a better missionary than me!) The only good thing about it was that we were having visitors for dinner the next night and not that night!
The reason I'm putting this story on here is that I thought it shows us how chillies are like sin. There are seven similarities I found.
1) They're very small but they have a big taste.
I only put a few very small ones into my dinner, but it was like we were just eating chillies! You couldn't taste the rest of the dinner. Little things can make a big difference.
Isn't that like sin? Think of what a big thing a little lie can turn into? Or what about the damage a little bit of gossip can do?
2)They hurt!
Honestly, eating that dinner was like eating fire (well, what I can imagine eating fire would be like, anyway!). It really hurt my mouth.
Sin hurts. It hurts the people that it effects, it hurts us and it hurts God.
3)They spoil things.
Those chillies completely ruined my nice dinner.
Doesn't sin spoil things? It spoils our fellowship with God. It can spoil our relationships with others, our reputation, our career, our purity, our marriage, and even our whole life. Sin spoils everything!
4)They can't be ignored.
Chillies flavor the whole meal. You can't just eat around them--you still taste them. You can't ignore them.
You can't just ignore sin. Do you watch movies with bad language or other sin on there and think, 'I'll just ignore those things?' Do you read books you shouldn't read or go to places on the internet that you shouldn't? That sin will affect us. We can't just ignore it. Before long we'll be doing those things ourselves. Sin flavors everything.
5)They leave a strong flavour when taken out.
I took out all the chillies within a few minutes of putting them in, but it didn't do any good. The taste was just as strong when they were gone.
Sin leaves behind painful consequences. When all is confessed and forgiven there is still some price to pay. That's just the way it is with sin; that's why we need to count the cost. Sin is the most expensive thing in the world.
6)The taste stays in your mouth for a long time.
The taste of chillies aren't gone the moment they're swallowed. You need to drink lots and lots of water!
Sin leaves behind a feeling of guilt. We can't just forget about what we've done.
7)You can get used to the taste of chillies.
There are lots of people who do like hot spicy chillies. They are used to it. Maybe they grew up eating them.
We can get used to sin. The more we tells lies or do something else wrong, the more we will get used to it and not feel so guilty.
         If you can learn something about the horribleness of sin from this devotion, then our spoiled dinner had a good purpose! 

No comments:

Post a Comment