17 February 2013

Rebekah's Willingness to Follow God


And her brother and her mother said, Let the damsel abide with us a few days, at the least ten; after that she shall go. And he said unto them, Hinder me not, seeing the LORD hath prospered my way; send me away that I may go to my master. And they said, We will call the damsel, and enquire at her mouth. And they called Rebekah, and said unto her, Wilt thou go with this man? And she said, I will go. Genesis 24:55-58
Rebekah was willing to leave her home and family and go with a stranger to another country to marry another stranger! Why on earth would she be willing to do such a thing?
She could see that God was behind it all. That made all the difference! God was calling her to go.
In verse 50, Laban and Bethuel said, The thing proceedeth from the LORD.
It was obvious that Rebekah was an answer to the servant's prayer. But Rebekah still had a choice. Wilt thou go with this man?
Rebekah was willing to follow God.
Are you willing to go wherever God calls you? If God calls you to leave your home and family to be a missionary in a foreign country, are you willing?
I was willing to be a missionary. It was my dream to spend my entire life overseas as a full time missionary. I was more than willing to go. But you know what? I wasn't willing to stay in my own country!
I had to learn to be willing to go wherever God wants me to go—whether it's to go or to stay. What matters is that I live my whole life completely dedicated to Him.

I've summed it all up in a poem.
Willing to Go, Willing to Stay
I'm willing to go, I'm willing to stay
LORD, I am willing Your call to obey.
Whether You want me here or there---
LORD, I will follow You anywhere.

I'm willing to go across the sea
And tell of the One who died for me.
If You will have me go far away
Please give me the grace Your will to obey.

I'm willing to stay if You will choose
In my own town my life to use.
There are people in every single place
That need to hear of Your amazing grace.

I'm willing to go, I'm willing to stay---
LORD, I will follow You all the way.
It matters not whether I go or stay
But that I live for You every day.
~E.R.van Rijn

No comments:

Post a Comment