28 April 2015

Wanting is Not Enough!

Image result for old man playing violinA famous violinist, who was very old, was playing his last concert. The whole world came to hear him play. After he got through playing a young violinist came up to him and said, "Sir, I would give my life to play like you." The old man looked at the young boy and said, "Son, I have given my life to play like me."

I can relate to that young boy. I look at people and admire their abilities or their character and I want what they have.  But often I forget what it took for them to get where they are. I just want to have what they have without any work! Are you the same?
To get good at something, you need to work hard and practice. You need to cut out other things that hinder or distract.

Do you ever look at someone and want what they have?
      ...a close relationship with God
      ...a great knowledge of the Bible
      ...closeness to God in prayer
      ...a talent--playing a musical instrument, art, speaking, writing, a sport, etc.
      ...a character quality--patience, self control, friendliness etc.

These things don't just happen. You may want lots of good things, but unless you are willing to put the time and effort in, you'll never get there.
Even when someone has a natural talent for something, they still need to practice and work hard to develop and improve their God-given ability.

If you want to know God, you need to do something.
If you want to know the Bible, you need to do something.
If you want to learn how to pray, you need to do something.
If you want to be good at something, you need to do something.
If you want to have great character qualities, you need to do something.
Of course, you should pray and trust God for them. But don't stop there! Use the means God has given you. Don't be a sluggard!

Proverbs 13:4 The soul of the sluggard desireth, and hath nothing: but the soul of the diligent shall be made fat.

No comments:

Post a Comment