8 May 2016

Honor Your Mother

What kind of relationship do you have with your mother?
When I was a teen I didn't always get on very well with my Mum! But the last year or two at home before I got married I started to understand her a whole lot more and we became very good friends. Now I am able to treasure our relationship.
In case you don't have a great relationship with your mother, here are a few tips I've learned that I hope will help you.

1) Mums aren't perfect!
Now that I am a mum myself I understand that. As much as I would love to be perfect, I make mistakes. I am not the great example that I want to be. I sometimes do what I teach my children not to do.

2) Being a Mum is very difficult.
When you are a Mum you are on call 24/7. You don't always know what is fair because you don't see everything that happens behind your back. Sometimes you might be up in the night with a baby or a sick child and you don't have your normal patience. When you are a Mum, there are so many things you have to keep up with and you don't always feel appreciated for everything you do.

3) Being a wife is also not easy.
It's easy to judge our parents because they may not always get along. But when I was about to get married I realized that when you get married you marry someone completely different to you! You both come from different backgrounds. And yet you have to make decisions and try and bring up a family together. Men and women are completely different and don't always understand each other. That can cause conflict and hurt. Sometimes it can be a real challenge just to get along nicely.

4) Mums do so much for their children.
Mums are first pregnant for 9 months. 9 months of having a growing uncomfortable body. And with some, nausea, fatigue etc. Then they have to go through labour or in some cases C-sections. Then their whole world is turned upside down for a while! They have a little human who is dependant upon them night and day. Not much sleep, maybe a sore body, tears that start for no reason, learning to breastfeed, and still trying to keep on top of a house and maybe other children. And then for some Mums, complications that mean lots of time in hospital, stress, fear and so on. Then there is the rest of their life given to training, loving, teaching and caring for that child. Even when children leave home, Mums are still there for their children.

Now maybe you don't have a mother who cares for you. Or maybe you find plenty of faults with your mother. Or maybe your mother has passed away and you even have a step mother. But I hope these four points can help you to love and appreciate your mother a little bit more, because she deserves it no matter what! Honour your mother because she is your mother, if for no other reason.
Honour ...thy mother:...Exodus 20:12

No comments:

Post a Comment