19 September 2016

Don't Waste Your Opportunities

 Then Peter arose and went with them. When he was come, they brought him into the upper chamber: and all the widows stood by him weeping, and shewing the coats and garments which Dorcas made, while she was with them.  But Peter put them all forth, and kneeled down, and prayed; and turning him to the body said, Tabitha, arise. And she opened her eyes: and when she saw Peter, she sat up. Acts 9:39-40

I was reading this story last night and one phrase caught my attention.
...while she was with them.
She made coats and garments while she was alive---while she was with them.
Once she died she couldn't do it anymore.
She didn't waste her opportunities. While she was there, she used her talents to serve God and love people.
She wasn't there forever, but she used the time she had. When she came back to life, she had another chance. But not everyone gets second chances.
What are you doing right now? You are somewhere, with certain people in your life and certain opportunities.
You have opportunities right now that you may never have again. Are you using them or wasting them?
You have people in your life right now that won't always be there.
If you are still a single girl, you have opportunities that you may not still have once you are married and a mother. Are you making the most of this season of your life?
At the moment I am in hospital with my baby. Either I can waste this time wishing I were home, or I can make the most of it and take the opportunities it brings. The choice is up to me.
I have a baby with Down Syndrome that I am in hospital with. A few days I read of a 14yr old boy with Down Syndrome that passed away. A few months ago I saw him a few times up at Starship Hospital when I was there with my baby. He didn't look sick, so I couldn't believe it when I heard he is gone. It reminded me to make the most of the time I have with my little girl and also my other children and husband because I never know when their last day may be.
I don't know when my last day on earth is either. But while I am here, I want to use my time, talents and opportunities for God.
What about you?


2 comments:

  1. Hi there! I just wanted to say that we loved reviewing your devotional in the Fall 2016 issue of Girlz 4 Christ Magazine. You can read it when you subscribe for free at Girlz4ChristMagazine.org, but here's a preview: https://issuu.com/girlz4christ/docs/fall_2016/28.

    ReplyDelete