28 January 2015

Wisdom for Difficult Times

 (Lessons from the Two Harlots)
Then came there two women, that were harlots, unto the king, and stood before him.
And the one woman said, O my lord, I and this woman dwell in one house; and I was delivered of a child with her in the house.
And it came to pass the third day after that I was delivered, that this woman was delivered also: and we were together; there was no stranger with us in the house, save we two in the house. 
 And this woman's child died in the night; because she overlaid it.
And she arose at midnight, and took my son from beside me, while thine handmaid slept, and laid it in her bosom, and laid her dead child in my bosom.
And when I rose in the morning to give my child suck, behold, it was dead: but when I had considered it in the morning, behold, it was not my son, which I did bear.
And the other woman said, Nay; but the living is my son, and the dead is thy son. And this said, No; but the dead is thy son, and the living is my son. Thus they spake before the king. 1Ki 3:16-22

What a predicament for Solomon! There was no proof either way with the two women. There were no husbands on the scene. Newborn babies look alike--especially to men! They must have both been boy babies. It was a very tough problem to solve. Too hard for most people. But nothing is too hard for God. And since Solomon got his wisdom from God, he was able to solve the difficult problem. God gave him the wisdom to know just what to do.
Are you facing any difficult problems at the moment? Difficult decisions---how are you supposed to know what to do? Difficult people—how do you deal with them? Difficult circumstances—how do you know how to act?
 
Before this story, God asked Solomon what he wanted. Solomon answer was, “Wisdom.” That's why Solomon knew how to solve this problem.

In James 1:5-6 God promises us, “If any of you lack wisdom, let him ask of God, that giveth to all men liberally, and upbraideth not; and it shall be given him.
 But let him ask in faith...”

God promises wisdom to those who'll ask for it in faith. He can give you the wisdom to know the answers to the questions you have.

No comments:

Post a Comment